martes, 24 de junio de 2014

As someone you would listen to...


 I have read the “love” story of Isaac and Rebekkah a couple of times. I´m not sure if it was given as a lesson for young people or old, but I like to say a word about it, then sue me or throw your stones.

As a father or person, I disliked Laban. His attitudes and ways suck, particularly when he tricked Jacob, when this worked so hard to get Rachel home.

The moment I saw him in Gen  24:29-30 (As soon as he saw the ring and the bracelets on his sister's arms)  I felt what I know about me... I think my sons are not like that but, how could it be when my daughter gets older, and one of her brothers behaves like that way?

Well, in short, I think that story teaches a lot on how giving up a daughter and what type of assurance a woman (and her family) needs to let her go.

Rebekkah left home with assistants. She went to see Isaac´s face, to meet him personally and yet she had the right to say “yes” or “not”.

Isaac´s dad was the wealthy. I don´t know how rich (or good worker) Isaac was, except he was Abraham´s heir. And my question, as a father: What kind of man would you give your daughter? (if that depended from you will).

Abraham´s fatherhood was blessed, not materially, but spiritually (Gen_17:21  But I will establish my covenant with Isaac...). I do believe it was God´s business on that matchmaking and, as Laban might have seen, Abraham was a good provider, since his son Issac enjoyed his wealth before Abraham was dead. Laban and his father Bethuel acknowledged Abraham, instead of Isaac´s genetic or social rank.

They assumed if Abraham spared nothing to convinced them so splendidly, there was no doubt he would care for their wedding and marriage. Will you marry your daughter with someone who has no work experience at all? With one who hasn´t finished high school, who is used to live on alms?

Those friends I knew went to meet their loved ones paying the cost, the time and the troubles. Those I have heard of (and seen) traveled a big deal of miles, and also paid their tickets and some other few were kind enough to pay for those they wanted to meet and know.

Abraham paid his servants the airplane ticket to meet one woman for his son Isaac. I think if he was younger or strong, he would have traveled to meet his relatives in Paddam-aram.

Will you send your daughter to meet a man alone?

Will you give her so freely? I guess not and I tell you why: We knew the world.

Bethuel sent his daughter with “guards”. She was with her helpers and, surely, they cared for their own life ( Gen 24:59, 61 ). Will you be happy is your sister or daughter leaves alone?

My mother got married to get rid of her mom (my grandma). She felt so abused (and tired) that she made that decision and it took her two years to be divorced (with one baby). How could one simple person care easily her child, alone?

Those I knew came to visit their loved ones and, asap they knew they could cope with one another they got married and, some others, moved abroad.

I saw one Mexican came to visit the one he was “dating” online. I´d witness about her relationship until the time she was visited and taken away, to be married somewhere else (just to ease the visa and those papers).

When I felt I had enough money to meet the one I loved in Colombia,  I made that trip and, without knowing it, she asked me to live with me in Venezuela, so I paid her trip my home (and also paid bribes to get her through, because she lacked the visa).

I don´t feel comfortable when I don´t have money to pay my half, or my share. I rather stay home (alone) than expecting someone helped me when I could not afford a travel abroad, not even an ice cream I deserved.

Believe me when I say I know what it is like that comfort zone: You asked and I paid. It could be also the other way around (I asked and you paid) but that is not fair and, of course, it´s the easy way for someone else´s advantage. The answer is “you asked and you paid” or “I asked and I paid”.

Would you let your sister go abroad alone (with someone who can´t not pay his airplane ticket to visit you, as her parents)?

Will you give your daughter money to visit someone you don´t know, in other state or nation?

This week my mother told me she wanted to take Joy on vacations... When I told Joy, she asked me if she could bring someone else into that trip. I said: “How come, Joy? My mother´s invitation is for you, alone, how come you thought about someone else she doesn´t know?” Even if I knew her friend, I will not take that responsibility, neither my mother.

Hope she would listen to this.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario